You can now install applications on devices other than C. This section explains how to change the location where new apps are installed in Windows 11.
In Windows 11, new apps that you try to install are installed on the C drive by default. In principle, this is not a bad thing. But what if you run out of space or want to keep your C drive clean? In that case, in Windows 11, you will need to change where the apps are installed.
Starting with Windows 10, Microsoft provides an option to install apps from the Store to another drive other than the C drive. In Windows 11, with just a few mouse clicks, you can tell it to install an app on a different drive than your primary drive. C.
In addition to new apps, you can save documents, music, photos, videos, and maps to another drive.
Just a few clicks in the Settings app to get started.
Now we will show you how to change where Windows 11 installs new apps.
Important note: The new drive you wish to use must be in NTFS filesystem format.
Change the installation location of the new application
To install the application on a different drive, you must set the “New Content Destination” in the Windows 11 storage settings.
- Run ” Settings ” with ” Win + I “.
- Click ” System ” in the sidebar.
- Go to ” Storyboard ” page.
- Expand the ” Advanced Storage Settings ” tab. Click
- ” New Content Storage “.
- Select the device to use from the drop-down menu ” New apps will be stored in “.
- (Optional) Change Documents, Music, Photos & Videos, Movies & TV, and Maps as well.
- Press the ” Apply ” button.
- Settings are automatically saved .
- Close the “Settings” application .
- This changes the installation location for new Windows 11 applications.
As usual, launch the Windows 11 Settings application with the “Start + I” key combination. You can also find it from the Start menu as well.
Once you have launched the “Settings” app, go to the “System and Storage” page. As the name suggests, this page lists all storage options. Here, find and expand the “Advanced Storage Settings” tab.
From this tab, find and click on the “New Content Storage” option.
Next, select the device on which you want to install the new app from the “New App Destination” drop-down menu. Click the “Apply” button to apply the settings.
The same settings can be made for Documents, Music, Photos & Videos, Movies & TV, and Maps.
Settings are automatically saved. 1>
From now on, new apps installed from the Microsoft Store will be installed on the new device.
Moving installed apps from device C to another device
It is possible to move already installed apps from device C to another device from the Settings app. Here is how to do it.
- Open “Settings” in Windows 11.
- Click on “Apps” in the sidebar.
- Go to the “Apps and Features” page.
- Click on the “More Options” icon next to the app.
- Click the “Go” button.
- Select a device from the drop-down menu.
- Click the “Go” button.
- Click “Yes” when prompted.
- This will move the application to the new device.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Not all applications and programs support moving from one primary device to another once installed.
Over. It is as easy as changing the default installation location in Windows 11.
We hope you find this simple and easy guide to working with Windows helpful.
If you get stuck or need help, send us an email and we will do our best to help.