Windows allows you to choose a default printer if you have multiple printers. Follow these steps to set your default printer on Windows 11 and 10 operating systems.
We recently wrote a simple guide to adding printers to the Send To menu. This allows you to set up printing directly from the right-click context menu.
If you have multiple printers connected to your computer and prefer one over the others, you can change the default printer in Windows instead of selecting one every time. After all, selecting a printer every time you print something is repetitive and time consuming.
Basically, Windows manages the default printer for you. If the Windows default printer is not working for you, you can configure it manually.
There are several ways to change the default printer in Windows 11 and 10. The first two methods are specific to Windows 11 and 10. However, the other two methods work on all recent versions of Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, etc. All methods accomplish the goal of setting the default printer in Windows, so please choose the method that is most convenient for you.
- Setting the default printer in Windows 11
- Setting the default printer in Windows 10
- Setting the printer in the Control Panel Default
- <11Command to set default printer
Set default printer in Windows 11
To set default printer you must use the Windows 11 configuration application. All it takes is a few mouse clicks.
- Open “Settings” with “Start + I” and select
- “Bluetooth and other devices” in the sidebar.
- Click on “Printers and Scanners”.
- Turn off “Let Windows manage printers by default” in “Printer Settings”.
- Click on the selected printer.
- Click the “Set as default” button.
- The printer is now set as default.
Open the Windows 11 “Settings” application by pressing “Start + I” key. Next, open the “Bluetooth and Other Devices” tab in the sidebar. Here, as the name implies, you will find most of the settings for hardware devices. On that page, click on “Printers and Scanners”.
Then scroll down to the “Printer Settings” tab and turn off the “Let Windows manage default printers” option. This will allow you to set any printer as your default printer.
Next, click on the printer you wish to set as the default printer.
Click the “Set as Default Printer” button to set it as the default printer in Windows 11.
After clicking the button, the printer status will be displayed as “Default” on the printer page.
Related: How to connect a wireless printer to Windows
Setting the default printer in Windows 10
You can easily set the default printer in the “PC Settings” app in Windows 10. Just click the button and you are done.
1. First, open the “PC Settings” app by pressing the Win + I key combination or find it in the Start menu.
2. Go to the ” Devices -> Printers and Scanners ” page in the Settings application. Uncheck ” Allow Windows to manage default printers” on the right side of the page. If you do not uncheck this option, you will not be able to select a default printer. Now click on the selected printer from the list and click the ” Manage ” button.
5. On the next page, click the ” Set Default ” button.
6. Click the button to set the target printer as the Windows 10 default.
Set Default Printer Using Control Panel
If the Settings app does not work or you are using an older version of Windows, it is possible to change or set the default printer using the good old Control Panel. Here is how to do it.
1. From the Start menu, locate Control Panel and click to open it.
2. In the Control Panel window, make sure the display method is set to ” Categories “. Then, on the Hardware and Sound tab, click the ” View Devices and Printers ” link. Right-click on the selected printer and select ” Set as Default Printer “. If a warning message appears, click the ” Yes ” (Yes) button to continue. As soon as you select an option, Windows will set the selected printer as the default printer.
Related: How to Clear the Print Queue in Windows
Commands to Set Default Printer
You can also set your default printer using a simple command. The whole process is very simple. First, we need to know the name of the printer, and then we need to set the default printer using that printer name. Here is how to do it.
1. Open the Start menu and search for ” Command Prompt. “. Right click on the Command Prompt result and select ” Run as Administrator “. You can also click “Run as administrator” in the right pane.
2. Before changing the default printer, you need to know the printer name. Specifically, the name of the printer you want to set as the default printer. So, run the following command in the command window, list all printer names
wmic printer get name,default
3. Once you have the name, run the command below.” Replace printer_name ” with the actual printer name from the list you got with the first command. As soon as you run the command, the default printer will change to the one you selected.
That’s all. It is as easy as setting the default printer in Windows 11 and 10.
We hope this brief guide to working with Windows will help you.
If you get stuck or need help, please comment below.