There are several ways to check if your Windows 10 system is fully activated. When in doubt, here’s how to check if Windows 10 is activated
If you have just purchased a computer with Windows 10 and a license key, you need to check the activation status after installing Windows 10 on your computer.You will need to check the activation status. Windows makes it easy to tell if the system is fully activated, but sometimes it is not so clear. So here is a reliable way to check if Windows 10 is properly activated.
Checking if Windows 10 is activated
As I said earlier, there are several ways to check if Windows 10 is activated correctly. The methods listed below will all give you the same results. Please follow the one you prefer.
1. Check if Windows 10 is enabled in the Settings app
The Settings app can show if Windows 10 is enabled. In addition, the Settings app will also tell you the activation method, such as digital license or product key.
Digital License: If you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period, or if you purchased or upgraded to Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, you will receive a digital license.
Product Key: The Product Key license type appears if you purchased a physical or digital copy of Windows 10 from an authorized reseller or purchased a system with Windows 10 pre-installed. This license type also applies to volume licenses and MSDN subscriptions.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
- Go to ” Update and Security -> Activation “.
- In the right panel, on the ” Windows ” tab, you will see your activation status.
- Also, on the right side of ” Activation ” you will see the activation method, such as digital license or product key.
- In my case, Windows is activated with a digital license.
If Windows is not activated, “Windows 10 is not activated” will appear next to “Activation”
Related: How to check Windows 10 version number
2. Check Windows activation status using Command Prompt or PowerShell
It is also possible to check if Windows is activated using Command Prompt or PowerShell. This way you can also check the edition of Windows you are using, i.e. Home or Professional.
Note: Although shown at the command prompt, the same command will also work in PowerShell.
- Open the Start menu.
- Request Command Prompt or PowerShell.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
- If Windows has started correctly, the “The machine is permanently activated” dialog box will appear.
- You will also see Windows Edit in the upper right corner of the Activation Status line. In my case, I am using Windows 10 Pro edition.
If Windows is not activated, the message “Error: product key not found” appears in the dialog box.
3. Check Windows Activation Status from System Applications
This is one of the easiest and quickest ways to check if Windows is activated. This method works with Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Note: This method no longer works on Windows 10 or Windows 11, as the old system tool has been replaced by the “About” page in the Settings app.
- Open the Start menu.
- Request ” Control Panel ” to open it.
- In the Control Panel, look for the ” System ” option and click on it.
- In the ” Windows Activation ” tab, if Windows 10 has been activated correctly, you should see ” Windows Activated “.
If Windows is not activated , the Windows Activation status will say “Windows is not activated.
That is all. It is that simple to check if Windows 10 is activated. If you liked this article, you may also like to read How to free up space on the C drive by deleting files from the component repository and How to change the cursor size, color, and format in Command Prompt and PowerShell
YouTube video: How to Check if Windows 10 Is Activated